Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The creeps

I had no idea that Fran Krause’s Deep Dark Fears would have a follow up when I read it earlier this month, so I was beyond excited to find out about this newest collection. Here he brings readers more of the creepy, funny, and idiosyncratic fears they love illustrated in comic form–such as the fear that your pets will tell other animals all your embarrassing secrets, or that someone uses your house while you’re not home–as well as two longer comic short-stories about ghosts.
I definitely recommend reading The Creeps at nighttime, similar to how you would watch a scary movie in the dark, to get the most out of it. However, since I’m a scaredy cat I didn’t really let the fears mentioned in this collection sink in because I like my sleep and my sanity. But as expected even that didn’t really work in my favor because I ended up having trouble falling asleep thanks to those creepy “someone’s standing at the window” illustrations. (I sleep near a window.)
So when I woke up in the middle of the night and was too scared to even open my eyes… not going to lie, it made me a bit resentful towards the collection. But on the other hand, it’s a job well done from the author. And I’m grateful for those handful of comical moments included to lighten the mood a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment